Petone Baptist church recognise the need for Christian outreach into the growing city and suburbs of Lower Hutt. A Sunday School is started at Waiwhetu School
The community of believers quickly grows. On 19 March 1929, Lower Hutt Baptist church (LHBC) was formally established with 17 foundation members.
LHBC also grew to the stage where its facilities were too small. The first calls were made to build an auditorium for Sunday worship services
In 1950s a formal building project commenced, with the new auditorium opening in December 1953
LHBC facilities are no longer adequate for the current needs. Change in society and zoning meant that the church was now only surviving on its “existing user rights” and was unable to make any changes to it's facilities.
In March 2008 building team recommended the purchase of the former Hoyts 5 cinema complex in High Street, Lower Hutt.
On Sunday 8th June 2008 (the day on which a formal vote would be taken regarding the move). The congregation arrived to find that the auditorium had taken a direct strike by lighting overnight. Extensive damage is caused to the tile roof, internal ceilings, wiring and electrical equipment throughout most of the building. The church members vote almost unanimously to purchase the new building and move shortly after to the new facility
Church Members vote to change the church name to Hutt City Baptist to more accurately reflect the city centre church we have become.
Church's facade is renewed.